DR. SAJAL AJMANI
MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Rheumatology), MRCP (UK)
Consultant Rheumatologist, Immunologist & Arthritis Management Specialist
Arthritis – Types, Causes & Prevention
+ What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a chronic inflammation of a single joint or multiple joints in the human body.
+ Why should I be concerned about Arthritis?
World over, 18% of women & 9.6% of men over the age of 60 suffer from Arthritis and experience recurrent pain in their joints which –
1. Limits Movement
2. Causes Distress
3. Leads to Perpetual Tiredness
+ Do I have to be Old to develop Arthritis?
While arthritis is usually associated with people over the age of 60, it can affect individuals of any age across the spectrum – especially women & people who are overweight.
+ How do I know if I have Arthritis?
Some of the major symptoms of this ailment are –
1. Extreme Joint Pain
2. Loss of Appetite
4. Acute Knee Redness of Skin
5. Stiffness Pain & Swelling Around the Joint
6. Slight Fever
7. Decrease in Red Blood Cell Count
+ What are the different types of Arthritis?
Arthritis comes in various forms. However, the most common types of this disease are –
- Caused by age-related wear and tear which starts in the knees & hips
2. Rheumatoid Arthritis
- RA affects people between the ages of 35 to 50 and mostly women. This caused by the immune system attacking our own joints and starts at the hands, wrists, feet & knees.
- Gout is caused by having High Uric Acid content and starts at the toes, feet, ankles & knees
+ What can I do to prevent Arthritis?
Arthritis can inly be prevented by making Lifestyle changes like –
- Quit smoking to prevent Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Maintain a Healthy Weight to prevent Osteoarthritis
- Avoid Red meat, Sea food and Alcohol to prevent Gout
+ Whom should I consult for Arthritis?
Doctors specializing in treating Musculoskeletal, Autoimmune & Connective Tissue disorders are called Rheumatologists. Their areas of focus include diseases such as Arthritis, Vasculitis, Lupus and Rheumatism.
If you are stressed and concerned about your joints aching constantly OR if you are struggling with doing even routine daily activities, make sure you schedule an Online consultation with top rheumatologists on the carefit app at the earliest and from the comfort of your own home.