What is Jock Itch?
A fungal infection of the skin called tinea cruris is also commonly known as jock itch. It belongs to a group of fungal infections which are known as tinea and is caused by a mold-like fungi known as dermatophytes. These tiny microscopic fungi live on the hair, nails and surface of the skin. They are harmless in nature but can multiply at a rapid pace and then cause infections.
There are no different types of Jock itch that experts have been able to identify till now.
Jock itch Symptoms
There are quite a few Jock itch symptoms that individuals must know about. We have listed some of the most common symptoms of this condition, below for your reference and knowledge:
- Redness in the area that has been infected
- A burning sensation in the infected area
- A persistent feeling of itchiness
- Peeling, flaking and cracking of the skin
- A change in the skin colour
- A rash that tends to get worse with any type of activity or exercise
- A rash that also does not get worse or shows any improvement or spreads due to an over the counter anti-itch cream too.
These are some of the reasons for jock itch that doctors have been able to identify.
Who is at Risk?
There are various Jock itch risk factors as it can happen to anyone due to multiple reasons. Because of this it becomes difficult to point out who is at a risk for it and who is not. However, experts have been able to identify certain possible risk factors related to this. We have mentioned them below for your reference and understanding of the same:
- Teenagers are the ones who are most prone to developing this condition
- An individual in the habit of wearing tight underwear and clothing
- Someone with a weak immune system are more prone
Jock itch Causes
There are many factors that lead to Jock itch causes which have been identified by researchers. We have discussed below for your understanding some of these causes in details:
- When an individual stays in clothes that is soaked in sweat for an extended period of time after either exercising or after performing any other kind of activity then the lengthy exposure to moisture causes the fungi to multiply quickly
- When there is an overgrowth of dermatophytes in the groin area
- Contact with an infected individual.
These are some common causes that are known to cause this condition.
How is Jock itch diagnosed?
For Jock itch diagnosis, a Jock itch doctor will need to perform a certain number of Jock itch tests as there is no one test to understand what is causing this to happen. As mentioned, the doctor may then have to conduct multiple tests to get to the root cause of the problem because the symptoms of this condition take time to appear:
- Before doing any sort of diagnosis the doctor will first understand your medical history and conduct a physical exam of your body to better inspect the area of the skin which has been affected.
- A doctor may take some scraping of the skin cells from the area that has been infected too.
How is Jock itch treated?
There are different methods for Jock itch treatment. The treatment for this can be easily carried out at home. We have mentioned in brief the process of treatment:
- Apply an over-the-counter anti-fungal cream, spray or powder over the infected area
- Clean your body properly after taking a shower
- Wear loose cotton clothing
- Doctors prescribe some medicine for jock itch.
Cure.Fit, your friendly health care provider offering a variety of services for various health conditions. They some of the best dermatologist from all over India to attend to any and all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website. You should consider them if you’ve been looking for a good jock itch cure.
How can Jock itch be prevented?
Prevention of Jock itch can be done by keeping some simple measures in mind. These can be done easily in consultation with your doctor. Some of these have been mentioned below for your understanding and consideration:
- Ensure that you maintain good hygiene at all times
- Wash your hands at regular intervals
- Always ensure that you keep your skin clean and dry at all times especially around the groin area
- Wash the groin area regularly with soap and then ensure that you dry it properly too
- You can apply baby powder as well.