An inflammation of the gums which has usually been caused due to some bacterial infection is known as gingivitis. If it is not treated then it can progress to become a more serious infection which is known as periodontitis.
There are two main types of Gingivitis that experts essentially know of:
- Dental Plaque induced gingival disease
- Non-plaque induced gingival disease
This is a major cause of tooth loss in adults that experts know of. These are some of the common types that experts know of till now.
Individuals who have a gum disease are not always aware of the Gingivitis symptoms that they might be suffering from. It is possible to have a gum disease without there really being any symptoms to it. however, the common symptoms related to Gingivitis across the different types that experts have been able to identify have been listed below for your reference and knowledge:
- Gums which have become red, swollen and tender
- Lose of teeth
- Gums which start bleeding when you either brush or floss
- Gums which have pulled away from the teeth
- Experiencing a change in how your teeth fit together when you chew or bite.
- Sensitive teeth
These are some common reasons for Gingivitis that people experience.
Who is at Risk?
There are various Gingivitis risk factors as it can happen to anyone at any time. However, experts have been able to identify certain possible risk factors related to this. We have mentioned them below for your reference and understanding of the same:
- An individual who has a habit of chewing tobacco
- A person who is a smoker
- Having crooked teeth
- Having HIV or AIDS which compromises with immunity
- Having certain medications such as steroids and oral contraceptives
- Someone who has undergone chemotherapy
- Broken fillings in the teeth
- Using dental appliances that do not fit properly
There are some Gingivitis causes which have been identified by health experts. The most common one that we know of is having poor oral hygiene which encourages the formation of plaque on the teeth. Apart from that, we have discussed below for your understanding some of these causes in details:
- Formation of plaque on the teeth – this requires daily removal as it can form very quickly
- When the plaque turns into tartar – the help of a professional is needed to remove the tartar
- When then gingiva become inflamed – this can lead to tooth loss or periodontitis as well
How is Gingivitis diagnosed?
For Gingivitis diagnosis, a Gingivitis doctor will need to perform a certain number of Gingivitis tests to understand if there are any underlying conditions that is causing Gingivitis to happen in the first place. The doctor will have to conduct multiple tests to get to the root cause of the problem.
- He will first do a dental exam by probing your gums with a small ruler. This helps in checking for inflammation. It also helps to measure any pockets that may be present around the tooth of the person.
- An X-ray to check for any bone loss if the doctor suspects that it might have been the case
- Doctor refers you to a periodontist if needed.
How is Gingivitis treated?
The cure for Gingivitis treatment is very simple in nature. We have mentioned it below for you:
- It is important to maintain good oral hygiene
- Cut back on your smoking if have the habit of going for frequent smoke breaks
- Manage your diabetes
- Surgery if needed
- Deep cleaning of teeth
In certain cases, the doctor may prescribe some medicine for gingivitis.
Cure.Fit, your friendly health care provider offering a variety of services for various health conditions. They are some of the best dentist from all over India to attend to any and all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website. You should consider them if you are looking for a good Gingivitis cure.
How can Gingivitis be prevented?
Gingivitis prevention can be done by keeping some simple measures in mind. Some of these have been mentioned below for your understanding and consideration:
- Having a proper and consistent oral hygiene practices in place
- Ensure that you visit your dentist on a regular basis
- Make sure that you brush your teeth twice a day and use only fluoride toothpaste. If you do not have this habit then it is beneficial if you start developing it as it will help you in the long run.
- Make sure that you floss your teeth every single day too