What is Coccydynia?
An inflammation of the tailbone, specifically the bony area or coccyx which is located deep between the anus and the buttocks is known as coccydynia. This condition is known to be associated with tenderness and pain at the tip of the tailbone which lies between the buttocks. The act of sitting is known to worsen the pain that is caused by this condition.
It is a condition that is known to make everyday tasks difficult and uncomfortable to perform and, in some cases, unbearable as well too.
There are some different Coccydynia symptoms that there is to know about. The degree of pain depends upon the intensity of the symptoms . However, despite that, there are some other common ones which we have listed below for your reference and knowledge:
- Experiencing tenderness and pain in the coccyx region is known to be the major symptom of this condition.
- Experiencing difficulty in sitting and performing other everyday tasks.
- Experiencing excruciating pain in the tailbone area
- Experiencing discomfort while walking.
- Feeling pain while performing sex.
- Not being able to sleep properly at night
- Pain during bowel movements.
Who is at Risk?
There are various Coccydynia risk factors as it can happen to anyone due to multiple reasons and at any time. Some individuals are more sensitive to this condition as compared to others. However, experts have been able to identify certain risk factors related to this. We have mentioned them below for your reference:
- Any individual who has experienced a fall and has broken, bruised or dislocated the coccyx area.
- Someone who has experienced trauma due to a difficult childbirth
- An individual who has been sitting on a narrow and hard surface for an extended period of time.
There are a number of different Coccydynia causes that doctors and experts have been able to identify. We have discussed below for your understanding some of these causes that may result in this condition to happen:
- Falling down or slipping is known to be one of the most common causes of this condition that individuals experience as it may bruise, damage or break the coccyx bone.
- Repetitive strain injury that happens from sports like rowing and bicycling due to having to perform repeated motions.
- Obesity is another common cause as it tends to put pressure to the coccyx.
How is Coccydynia diagnosed?
For Coccydynia diagnosis, a doctor will need to perform a certain number of tests for this condition as there is no one common test to understand the root cause of the problem. As mentioned, the doctor may then have to conduct multiple tests to get a proper understanding of the problem:
- The doctor will first start with a physical test to examine the local pain and understand the symptoms that the individual is experiencing.
- He will enquire about your complete medical history and also that of your family’s
- He will also check for signs of inflammation or infection
- Certain tests like CAT Scan or MRI scan might be prescribed by the doctor depending on the need.
How is Coccydynia Treated?
There are several different methods for Coccydynia treatment as done by a Coccydynia doctor. We have mentioned in brief the different methods of treatment:
- In most of the cases doctors turns to over-the-counter medicine for Coccydynia for treating the individual.
- The doctor will also advise on lifestyle changes such as physical therapy and change in sitting positions.
- Exercise and simple stretching
Cure.Fit, your friendly health care provider offering a variety of services for various health conditions. They some of the best orthopedician from all over India to attend to any and all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website. You should consider them if you are looking for an effective Coccydynia cure.
How can Coccydynia be prevented?
Prevention of Coccydynia starts with practising and incorporating certain lifestyle changes. However, having said that, there are some recommendations which might help an individual. Some of these have been mentioned below for your understanding and consideration:
- Ensure that you do not indulge in an uncomfortable position or surface that will cause any sort of strain to your coccyx bones.
- Practise caution while performing physical activities and if you tend to fall or slip then consult a doctor immediately before it gets worse
- Take extra care of yourself if you have had a difficult childbirth experience.