Some of you might have already adjusted to the new normal while the rest of us, rather most of us are still taking baby steps in that direction. For salons and beauty parlours too, it isn’t business as usual as they are either shut or just trying to get back to status quo. The current situation however, presents us with an opportunity to work on ourselves. You know what they say – Self-care is the best form of care and what’s better than pampering yourself with a refreshing clean skin care and hair care from time to time. Just follow a proper skin care routine to rejuvenate your skin.
Skin care tips you must follow
Show your skin some love because it deserves every bit of it. Here are some skin care tips that you need to follow right away to give your skin a radiant glow.
- Remove your makeup before bed time – Unfortunately, sleeping with makeup on is a mistake that many women make. If left on for hours during the night, makeup can clog your pores and skin cells causing acne and breakouts as it doesn’t let your skin breathe. Therefore, it’s absolutely essential that you remove your makeup and moisturize your skin before hitting the sack.
- Have a well-balanced diet – You’re what you eat – heard this saying before? When you eat unhealthy food, it takes a toll on your body, affecting your organs including the skin. Nutrition is the key to a healthy you! Add nutrition-rich foods to your diet – include nuts such as nuts like walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, Vitamin C rich foods like oranges, strawberries and blueberries to name a few.
- Control stress – Stress is responsible for a majority of our health problems and we have our lifestyle to blame for it. When you’re under too much stress, your body releases high amounts of cortisol which in turn causes skin aging and inflammation. Stress shows itself on your skin in the form of wrinkles and acne.
- Drink enough water – Drinking water helps flush out the toxins in your body. On an average, you must drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Staying hydrated can give your skin a radiant glow.
- Don’t pop that pimple – While it might seem really satisfying to squeeze that pimple, it’s definitely not a great idea. In fact, popping them can lead to permanent scars on your face. You surely don’t want that, do you? Also, avoid touching your face as much as possible, especially in the current situation.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water – Using hot water to wash your face can dry out your skin and strip it off its natural hydrating oils. Cold water on the other hand, doesn’t remove dirt and grime that effectively. Therefore, it’s recommended to use warm or lukewarm water to wash your face so that you wash off the grime while preserving its natural oils.
- Get sound sleep everyday – Sleep your way to a younger looking skin! When you sleep, your body repairs itself and tries to recover from the day’s stress. Ensure you get at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep every night.
- Workout regularly – It’s no secret that regular physical activity is good for both the body and mind. It’s equally good for your skin too. Exercising helps improve blood circulation making your skin look healthier. However, you need to make sure that you don’t wear makeup while working out. You can also try yoga as the benefits of yoga on health are unmatched.
Simple daily skin care routine
An essential skin care routine can go a long way in making your skin look absolutely flawless. Broadly speaking, a skin care routine includes three main steps – cleansing, toning and moisturising. Daytime and nighttime skin care routines are similar except that you don’t need to apply sunscreen at night. You can also treat your skin at night by exfoliating it and applying a face mask. Watch this How to make your own Face Mask tutorial to make it easily at home.
- Cleanser – Washing your face is the most fundamental and effective way to get rid of dirt, grime and other toxins. Find a face wash that best suits your skin type – Normal, oily, dry or sensitive. Using the wrong face wash can leave your skin completely dry and prone to acne.
- Toner – While it’s optional, it’s recommended that you apply toner on your face after you wash it. Toner provides your skin with the essential nutrients and helps protect your skin by balancing its pH levels. If you have sensitive or dry skin, you can also opt in for a hydrating toner.
- Face serum/ spot treatment – Our skin comes in contact with so many pollutants on a regular basis and is also exposed to sun damage. Face serum can help reverse some of that damage and leave your skin feeling fresh and rejuvenated. It is usually applied after applying a toner. Also, night is a great time to treat acne. Additionally, you can also put on a sleeping mask to strip the dirt and other toxins away. Learn how to make a sleeping mask now!
- Eye cream – Getting rid of dark circles and baggy eyes can really be challenging. Using the right eye cream can help protect the sensitive skin around the eyes against wrinkles and those annoying dark circles.
- Moisturizer – As the name suggests, the primary function of a moisturizer is to keep your skin hydrated. It also reduces the chances of skin problems and wrinkles, making you look young. It’s a myth that you don’t need to moisturize if you have oily skin. You should use a moisturizing lotion in that case instead of a moisturizing cream.
- Sunscreen – Sunscreen can be a life saver for your skin! It protects it against the harmful UV rays of the sun drastically decreasing the chances of skin cancer and sunburn. Remember to apply sunscreen on your face and body before you step out in the sun.
Good skin is an indicator of good health. Invest in quality skin care products and you will see your confidence grow.