We are all cooped up in our homes due to the prevailing situation. Tired of binge watching movies and TV shows, we feel we have run out of things to do. Boredom has engulfed all of us. We can’t really complain as there are endless entertainment options to choose from. No, not electronic gadgets! But easy art and craft ideas that you can try at home to keep yourself and your kids entertained. You probably won’t even have to go shopping as you can find most of the items required for DIY arts and crafts for kids readily available at home. It’s time to flex those creative muscles and bring some art and craft ideas to life!
Importance of arts and crafts for kids
Due to the closure of schools, kids don’t have an outlet to freely express themselves. Arts and crafts for kids can be an excellent way to tap into their creativity and imagination. They allow them to be in their own zone and enjoy the process of creation. In addition to fostering creativity, these art activities for kids can also help them develop socially and emotionally. The feel-good factor when kids bring their art and craft ideas to life, boosts their self-confidence and improves their problem solving and analytical thinking skills. Bust your kids’ boredom and kindle creativity in them by indulging in some art and craft activities.
Introducing arts and crafts by age
All children are artists but as they grow up lose touch with their artistic selves. A little push in the right direction can do wonders for their creative abilities. Introducing arts and crafts for kids at the right age, based on their interests can help bring out the creators in them. To involve kids in arts and crafts at preschool level, take their favourite storybook characters and use them as the source of inspiration for various art and craft ideas. Educate them about the world of art by talking about renowned artists from around the world and take active interest in their activities.
20 Fun activities for kids to keep them entertained
Feel like you are stuck at home with nothing interesting to keep your kids entertained? Don’t worry! These craft activities for kids will not only keep them engaged but also help you bond with them. Here are 20 exciting craft ideas for kids that you can partake in:
- Decorate home together : Kids’ minds are always brimming with ideas. Why not let them help redecorate their room? Whether it’s stickers of cartoon characters or that of a star-studded sky, renovating their room along with them will help unleash their creativity.
- Learn origami : Sometimes all you need to have fun is a single piece of paper! If you are searching for easy crafts for kids, Origami should definitely be on your list. An ancient paper craft for kids and adults alike, it involves folding a single piece of paper (usually coloured) multiple times to create the desired shape.
- Sculpting and modeling with clay : Sculpting and modeling is an activity that almost every kid would enjoy and why wouldn’t they? It gives them the opportunity to bring their favourite cartoon characters to life. It goes without saying that you need to be prepared for a bit of mess.
- Upcycle together : Upcycling is the process of taking something old and worn out and creating something better out of it. Besides giving it a purpose, upcycling also helps add a nice touch of creativity to your decor. From repurposing glass bottles into night lamps, old books into shelves and bottle caps into candle lights, there’s no limit to what you can create.
- Sketching : One of the easiest art activities for kids to get started with, sketching only requires a pencil, a piece of paper and a vivid imagination. Don’t give them any instructions, just let them pour their thoughts onto the piece of paper even if it doesn’t make any sense to you.
- Make jewelry out of paper : Rolling pieces of paper into jewelry beads to create necklaces, earrings and bracelets sounds like fun, doesn’t it? An immersive paper craft for kids, making jewelry out of paper can be therapeutic for adults too.
- Finger painting : One of the arts and crafts suitable for toddlers, finger painting is an activity that they can indulge in as long as you use edible paint. Thumb painting for kids is just another minor variant of this activity.
- Make personalized greeting cards : Personalized gifts have a certain charm to them and it’s even better when kids make them with their own hands. A sweet gesture, it’s loved by grandparents and other relatives. Let them have fun making those greeting cards and help them out if they get stuck anywhere.
- Get Temporary tattoos : Designing a tattoo at home can be a fun experience. With the help of eyeliners, you can easily get yourself and kids a tattoo that will last for a few hours.
- Make a collage : While you can easily make a collage online these days, the satisfaction of making a collage with actual pictures is unmatched. Sit down with your entire family and select the pictures you want to put in your collage.
- Create a small garden/ terrarium : Making a terrarium is not only easy but it also adds a touch of charm to your home decor. To make a terrarium, you would need a container or bottles to arrange your plants. This is a fun activity that you can try out with your kids.
- Make masks at home : Face masks have become an important part of our lives now. Why not try making them yourself at home? Contrary to popular belief, making a mask isn’t that hard. While you are at it, you can rope in your kids too to help you out.
- Make balloon animals : From birthday parties to anniversaries and other events, balloons make an appearance at all these special occasions. While kids are already fascinated by balloons, with a few twists and turns, they can be turned into a number of different animals such as dog, monkey, swan and much more.
- Learn calligraphy : In the age of computers, Calligraphy is an art form that’s losing its prominence. Introduce your kids to this beautiful art and they will have a lot of fun with it. It not only helps your kid write better but also makes them better learners.
- Sewing : Not just a fun hobby but also an important life skill, sewing can really be a lifesaver at times. If your kids are old enough to be careful with a sewing machine or plain old sewing needles, teaching them how to sew can be a fun activity.
- Create your own puzzle : Be it jigsaw puzzle, word scramble, word search or even quiz, you can create a puzzle for your kids with the help of online websites. You can also choose to make a puzzle for them the old fashioned way. Make your own crossword puzzle and adjust the difficulty level according to their progress.
- Maintain a scrapbook : A scrapbook is an excellent way to preserve memories that you can cherish whenever you feel like taking a trip down the memory lane. Encourage your kids to maintain a scrapbook from an early age and they will thank you later.
- Make hand puppets : Don’t throw away your old socks and gloves! A simple and easy DIY activity for kids, it teaches them that you can create something fun and interesting out of literally anything, as long as you have a creative outlook. They not only get something to play with but also the satisfaction of making it themselves.
- Design a treasure hunt : No matter how old you are, treasure hunt never ceases to be exciting and kids absolutely love it. You don’t even need to go outdoors for a fun treasure hunt and work up a sweat.
- Make stamps at home : Stamp collection is a hobby that a lot of people share but creating your own home-made stamps is an equally interesting kids’ art craft. Be it childrens’ self inking name stamps or some funky new designs, the whole process of making stamps at home is completely entertaining. You can make them out of erasers, sponges or even potatoes.