1.What is Varicocele?
Varicocele refers to a condition in which the veins within the scrotum get enlarged. These veins are also known as pampiniform plexus. This condition typically appears in the scrotum which can result in a decrease in the sperm production and quality.
This condition is primarily divided into primary and secondary types. The different types of Varicocele that we know about has been mentioned below for your understanding:
- Primary Varicocele
- Secondary Varicocele
There are different grades of the condition within the two different types as is mentioned above.
The Varicocele symptoms are such that you could be having this condition and still not get to know about it. however, there are certain things that you will experience which will give help the doctor understanding if you have this condition or not. Some common symptoms have been listed below for your reference and knowledge:
- If you feel there is a lump in one of your testicles
- If you are experiencing a swelling in your scrotum
- Feeling a recurring and dull varicocele pain in your scrotum which can be unbearable at times.
- If you notice visibly large or even twisted vein in testicle pain in your scrotum. They are often described as looking like a bag of worms.
2.Who is at Risk?
There are quite a few Varicocele risk factors that all individuals and especially men should be aware about. We have mentioned them below for your reference:
- Men who have experienced primary infertility – this is when a couple has not been able to conceive a child even after one year of trying.
- Men who have experienced secondary infertility – this is when a couple has been able to conceive once but are not able to do it again despite repeated attempts
As mentioned above this has a different effect on the fertility, quality and production of the sperms.
The exact Varicocele causes are still unclear and experts have not been able to figure it out. However, there are some theories that they believe might be the cause for this to occur. This has been discussed below for your understanding.
- Blood should move through the vein from the testicle to the scrotum and then send it back to the heart. This is the sign of a healthy vein. However, what happens sometimes is that the blood does not move through the veins like it should and instead starts to collect in the vein causing it to enlarge.
3How is Varicocele diagnosed?
For Varicocele diagnosis, a doctor will first and foremost conduct a physical examination. However, it might not always be felt or seen while a person is lying down. This physical test is conducted either with the person standing or lying down as per the doctor. Then in that case, certain Varicocele tests that a varicocele doctor will then conduct if they suspect that you might be suffering from it.
- A scrotal ultrasound might be performed to help measure the spermatic veins allowing the doctor to get an accurate and detailed picture of the condition.
- Once this has been done then the doctor will further classify it into the three grades depending on what you are experiencing.
4.How is Varicocele treated?
Varicocele treatment is done through certain surgeries which depends on how the individual wants to go ahead with it.
These types of surgeries are:
- Varicocele embolization
Additionally, if someone does not want a surgery then the doctors usually prescribe medicine for Varicocele.
Care.Fit is your friendly neighbourhood health care provider that offers a variety of services for various health conditions. They have on their team some of the best urologist from all over India to attend to any and all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website which you can download on both App Store and Google Store. You should consider them if you are looking for a good Varicocele cure.
5.How can Varicocele be prevented?
There are no set rules as such for Varicocele prevention as it does not happen to every guy out there. However, there are certain common things that can be done to prevent it:
- Get a regular health check up done from time to time to ensure that everything is functioning fine in your body from the inside
- Practise safe sex and be cautious while having sex with your partner. If you experience any type of pain then do not just ignore it and consult a doctor immediately. It will help in a better sex life.